I have been dreading yesterday for about three months now. I made a dentist appointment exactly three months ago for Aiden. And every day since then I would ask myself, "Why am I going to put myself through this?" Aiden is one of those kids that when he pitches a fit...it is a FULL ON THEATRICAL PERFORMANCE. There is nothing quiet or bashful about it! The poor nursery leaders can fully attest to this fact. When I pictured May 12, 2009, at exactly 2:15 p.m., I pictured a room full of dental hygenists with wide eyes and looks of absolute SHOCK as my three year old child through himself on the floor kicking and SCREAMING about being there. I pictured thrown toothbrushes and smashed x-ray machines. I pictured sweet hygenists attempting to calm him down as his mother helps herself to a reclined dentist chair. I even tried to pick out a cute outfit so that everyone who stared at us trying to figure out what on earth was wrong with this child would think, "Well...at least his mother doesn't "look" like a nut case."
As all dreaded activities do, the moment of truth arrived. To make matters worse, I had been babysitting all morning long so Aiden didn't get his usual nap. When I put him in his car seat, IT WAS ON. Screaming, crying and defiant behavior. "I'm NOT going to let the dentist look in my mouth!" Etc., etc., etc. So I sit there in the garage for a minute wondering, do I just call to cancel and accept the $25 cancellation fee? Or go against the smart parts of my brain and drive down there? I decide to test fate, and begin gearing myself up for humiliation. About 1 mintue into the drive Aiden falls asleep. GREAT! It's just getting better. Now I'm going to have to wake the kid up after about a 15 min. nap. The scenario in my head just got a whole LOT scarier! Rather than turn around to go home, I used the quiet time to say a prayer. You can imagine the begging that went on for the next 15 minutes!
I pull up to the office, take a deep breath...and wake him up, cringing. He is unhappy that I woke him up. I prepare to haul the grumpy child in anyway. After a moment, he smiles at me and says, "Okay mom! I'm ready for the dentist!" I almost keel over in shock. I grab him and make a mad dash for the office door before he can change his mind. I kept waiting for it... and do you know what??? The tantrum NEVER started. Just like a big boy he stuck those nasty x-ray cards in his mouth without complaining once. Then he happily picked out his Diego toothbrush and let the dental hygenist clean his teeth with the scary drill sounding instrument. He then smiled as the dentist came over to further poke at his teeth and look in his mouth. HE FOLLOWED EVERY DIRECTION WITH EXACTNESS! By this point I'm literally in full on SHOCK. Who IS THIS KID and WHAT HAS HE DONE WITH MY SON??? The trip was a total success, no cavities even! Whoop! Whoop! The only downer, which I already knew would be part of the trip was that the dentist gave me the "LOOK" and told me to get rid of his binky immediately. Ok, here is the point where you, the reader, can take a break to get over the shock and close your mouth that we let our three year old sleep with a binky still. No comments about the ridiculousness of this! I am fully aware thank you very much. Let me explain myself! Aaron came, it was a big change for Aiden. Aaron still doesn't sleep through the night and I WANTED SOME SLEEP. Hence the binky.
As you lay your head down to sleep tonight, think of me...up with my dear Aiden because he is protesting the no binky rule and refuses to go to bed. This too shall pass. This too shall pass. (that's what I keep telling myself anyway). And I repeat the title of this post. I am feeling down right special about yesterday! I know that the Lord has way more important things to worry about than helping my Aiden (and myself) endure a simple trip to the dentist. But he reminded me that I AM important enough to Him and he does hear my pleas for help no matter how trivial. It meant A LOT to me that I could hold my head up high and gleam with pride for my son who didn't break or throw a single thing at the dentist office.
8 comments:
Yay for Aiden! I'm so proud of both of you. There is a light at the end of a three year old's tunnel and every once in a while we get a glimpse of it! Don't be embarrassed about the binky thing-Stan still sleeps with his froggy.
YAY for the dentist!!! To be honest I am dreading that day too...cause Tate still sleeps with his binki and I KNOW the dentist is going to give me the "look".....but sleep, sleep, sleep is SO important for moms! Binki or sleep....well sleep won in my books!!!
I went private...e-mail me and I will add you: mickten14@hotmail.com
too funny. I'm glad it went fine for you. I love how you explained everything with precise details. I feel like i was there
Loved this post! Go mom.....and son! The whole binky thing.....until anyone is in your shoes, comments and LOOKS can just be kept to themselves. Sydney was three when the binky fairy took hers to another deserving little girl and her teeth are just fine!
Too sweet! I'm so glad everything went so well for the both of you! And don't be ashamed of the binky thing. I have a friend out here who's daughter is 4 1/2 and she literally just gave up the binky 2 weeks ago. They're all so different. Chase and Mallory sleep with their blankies. They all have their things that bring them comfort while they're young! You are a great mom!
I went private. Please send me your email address at Gpmaganda@hotmail.com
I'm so glad he did great! Mason is due for his first appt and I'm so worried. He is terrified of ALL Drs. I didn't even take Abree until she was 4, because I knew the Dentist would give me the "Look" about her still sucking her thumb! I can't take it away! I guess I'll just have to chop her thumbs off! haha. Loved you post, too cute!
I have witnessed that nightmare scene multiple times at the dentist and the doctor with Trev. I get it. (A few years ago, of course....)
Glad Aiden squared up his shoulders. :)
Post a Comment