About a month ago I had decided that Aiden might need speech therapy for his lisp. I wasn't sure if it was one of those things that would just go away with age. For some reason it kept nagging at me and nagging at me. I finally called the public school preschool system that would offer free speech therapy. They told me that he would first have to pass the eye and hearing exam. I thought, "No problem." So, we go down to Canyon Trails Elementary and I'm standing there while they do his eye test. The lady says, "Hmmmm. Let me try again." She tries again. And again. She finally turns to me and says, "Has he ever compained about not being able to see things?" I say, "No. Why?" "Well," she says, "This machine is telling me that he can't see out of his right eye very well." I'm a bit shocked and doubtful of her prognosis. She moves on to the ears. Again I hear, "Hmmmmm. Let me try that again." By now I'm thinking WHAT??? She turns to me and says, "This machine it telling me that he can't hear out of his right ear." W-H-A-T??? If the children fail the hearing or eye exam they won't even test for the reason you brought them in for. So, we leave the school with a little piece of paper requesting an eye and hearing exam from a real doctor. I then make an appointment to have his eyes checked. Still I am unconcerned because I figure that the lady didn't know how to use the machine or something.
The eye exam begins. Again, those dreaded words..."Hmmmm." from the doctor. She turns to me and says, "He isn't using his right eye. The left one is doing all the work." We then proceeded to test this theory by covering up each eye at different times. Anytime he could use his left eye he would get the correct letter. When he had to use his right, NOTHING. He would just turn and look at me and say, "I don't know what the letter is." We then tested for color blindness. He isn't color blind. He could read all the numbers. She then tells me that she is going to have to dilate his eyes to get an accurate prescription for glasses. My heart literally breaks right there. His prescription is +6.00 in the right eye and +5.00 in the other. Translation: My baby can't see. My mind starts to wander about how he's never really seen any of our faces (he has a + prescription = he can't see up close), he's never really seen the things he colors, and on and on. I start to tear up...only to realize that dilation means those drops that really sting. I felt like such a liar. I told Aiden they wouldn't do anything that hurt him. They made me hold his arms down while they pried open his eyes and put the drops in. He was screaming and I was bawling. My poor little man. Anyway, he didn't cry too long. We picked out some glasses and left on vacation. The glasses came in today and we went and got them. Here is my handsome little Aiden with new eyes!
When he put on the glasses, he stared at me. Then he stared at Alex. He says, "Mom, you both look different. He then kept staring at the ground saying, "This looks different, this looks different." We had to go to Walmart right afterwards and it took us about 15 minutes to walk INTO the store because he kept stopping to look at the road and cars up close and his brothers and etc., etc., etc. The whole time I had tears in my eyes. I know that the Lord kept nagging me about the lisp so that I would get him in to get his eyes checked. The eye Dr. told me that I should feel very lucky that we found this out while he is still so young. Sometimes in cases like his, when one eye does all the work the other eye starts to go crossed, a lazy eye. Then you have some real problems on your hands. Or she said kids get to school and start falling behind and no one can figure out why. We are so blessed. I am so thankful to the Lord for extending me and my little Aiden this tender mercy. The lisp doesn't even bother me anymore and seems unnoticeable! We are off to get his hearing checked next week! I really hope he doesn't need a hearing aid too. I'll keep ya posted! For now...here is a picture of Aiden with new eyes!
18 comments:
Ahh, he looks so different. When I first saw the picture, I thought he had found your glasses or something...too cute! Crossing our fingers things check out with his ears!! How does he like wearing them?!
He looks like such a big boy! Good on ya for listening to the spirit! Hope everything goes well with the hearing check
that almost makes me want to cry as well. Poor thing.
Wow Amie, how would anyone ever know?? That really makes me want to get my kids eyes and hears checked. He does look very handsome though.
I feel your pain! My poor little Alex is blind by genetics. She got my lazy eye. What a pain that has been, for both of us! I'm glad you caught the little guys eye problem early. I'm sure his hearing will turn out fine. Hang in there and keep us updated!!
Aw I feel for ya mom! We always wish we could know all when it comes to our kiddos. Aiden looks sooo handsome though..and how awesome that he can see so well now.
He looks so handsome with his glasses on! I felt for you as his Mom when I was reading how he was amazed at things that he really never saw before. YOu are really a good Mom!
I thought of you when we went to see my Mom in Tucson (quick trip) and we went to Benson to the Kartchner (I think that was it) Caverns. If I remember right you are from Benson...? We almost took the kids to Tombstone, but it was so hot so Ross talked me out of it. I wish we could have come to se you guys. I feel like every time we go to AZ we never see everyone we want to.
Take care!
Oh, I hope that means he will want to wear his glasses since he can see so much better. I can't wait to see what he paints for us today!
He looks so cute in glasses! I can't imagine finding how you did about his eye sight, not knowing or suspecting any problems. Glad you had them checked! What a blessing. OH and also, both of my kids have a lisp. Porter has done speech therapy off and on since he was 3... it's cute, but not so much when they get older. I'm hoping they will grow out of it... wishful thinking!!
Wow, that is amazing that he couldn't see out of that eye! Your post almost made me cry! How would you ever know he couldn't see, when HE didn't really know how things were supposed to look? I'm glad he got checked so early. I hear most kids suffer a lot longer.
Oh, and it looks like you had a awesome time in the CO mountains. Too bad you all weren't closer! We love Colorado!
Wow, that was some post! Poor Aiden, we'll pray that all goes well for his hearing check. But I have to agree, he does look awful cute with his little glasses!
Oh Amie! I'm so glad you got it figured out. Poor kid! It made my heart break just to hear that he couldn't see anything up close. Let us know how the hearing test goes.
Okay HI!!! (I'm wiping tears) I can really relate and it is so painful to find out your child is/has been suffering. But could Mr. Aiden be any more adorable??? We are praying for his little ears to be hearing right! Grateful for your tender mercy. The Lord is so good!
The same thing happened to us with Brant! We found out b.c of his Kindergarten eye exam years ago. His left eye is 5 times weaker than his right and even though you couldn't see it being 'lazy' they still diagnosed him with lazy eye. Brant is now 11 and has been wearing contacts for a few months now and doing great! Aiden will be just fine and it is such a blessing that you found this out at an early age!!! He looks so darn cute in his glasses!!
What a cutie with those glasses!! So glad to hear you caught it early ... How neat to hear he is seeing things in a new way :)
He is so handsome in his glasses! Good luck with the hearing test. I have a brother with hearing aids. Hang in there!
Glad to hear he can see better, he looks too cute with his new glasses on.
Post a Comment