Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Tagged...Where did you get your children's names?

I have officially been tagged by Holly to reveal the rhyme and reason to our triple "A" madness in naming our children. WARNING!!! I have to say upfront that you may become extremely bored in reading the following material... Like Holly I included one of my favorite snapshots of the boys.

Alexandre Karl

After we found out we were having a boy, the GREAT DEBATE began. Andy and I could not agree on a name for him. According to him (Andy), I only liked the podunk country boy names and I could not see myself ever calling one of our children Sergay or Sasha. (Andy served his mission in Russia and ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT). He was convinced that his first son would have a Russian name. We argued for quite a while over it until I found out that technically Alexander was a RUSSIAN name. TA DA!!! However, it wasn't quite Russian enough for Andy, so we went with the European spelling of Alexander by reversing the last two letters =Alexandre He will forever be called Alex-Andre by all nurses. It cracks me up every time we go to the pediatrician! As for his middle name. It is actually very near and dear to my heart. When I was about a week shy of my 21st birthday, my father, Karl, passed away very unexpectedly. He remains my rock and one of the greatest inspirations for Christlike attributes in my life. I knew that I wanted my firstborn son to carry some part of his name. So, Alexandre Karl it was!

Aiden Andrew

When we found out we were having another boy, all of the "podunk" country boy names came flooding back to me. Andy was thrilled! We debated for quite some time over Aiden's name. One day Andy was reading a list of baby names and he came home with the name Aiden. I had NEVER heard of this name before and didn't like it at first. (Who knew it was going to be the most popular boy name of 2007! I'm with Donna on this one...what in the world???) I wanted to name him Ammon. Not thrilled with a "scripture" name as Andy called them, we kept looking. But, the name Aiden just kept coming back to me. It was growing on me! Pretty soon I loved it and we had our little Aiden. I don't think it necessary to explain the middle name... :)

And last, but not least, our soon to be Aaron Mark (if he EVER decides to make his appearance) Sorry, no picture yet!

Actually this is a tough one. I even had to call Andy at work to help me remember why we chose Aaron. Sadly, neither of us can remember! After we had Aiden, we said if we had another boy he would be Aaron. There was no great debate on this one at all! Well, except for the spelling. Andy wanted to spell it, Aron. But, I informed him that he has never had to take Alex to the Dr. and hear his name pronounced Alex-Andre. I didn't want to listen to Aaron be called A-Ron his whole life! So, Aaron it is. Mark is Andy's dad's name, and because he is very special to us we wanted our last kiddo to share his name.

There you have it! Nothing too exciting. I now tag Linda, Krista, Kari, and Kimberly!

9 comments:

andreamatrix said...

Good for you! I read it as A-Ron. We have to spell Trevin for everybody and it is a pain!

:) said...

I wnat to know what these podunk country boy names are. I think that your boys are super cute along with their names.

Donna said...

I love their names! (of course) So this is the last kiddo huh? What, no girls? :)

Rochelle said...

I love A-Ron already....I hope he comes soon cuz I bet your so done. You look great!!!!!! I always thought you were great to name Alex with the european spelling cuz Justin served in Germany...

Kari said...

Great names and stories to go with them!! Ours aren't that exciting ... Any day now, huh?! Praying all goes well and QUICKLY!!!

kimber said...

Fun to hear about, you'll give in and try again for a girl, right;) Thanks for the cookies, they were yummy! and I can't wait to see that new baby, any day!!

Anonymous said...

I love it! I love that you have all of your kids names start with an A! And I love the explanation of how you got them! I will soon post how my kids go their names. I hope Aaron comes to you painlessly (can that really happen?) Epideral is all I can say! I will be thinking of you and hoping/praying that all goes well with your new baby! Can't wait to see pictures of him! I still have like 150 more days to be where you are and I am feeling like it needs to come quick....AHHHH!

Linda said...

Fun to read Amie! And did I read this is your last kid? I have a hard time believing you'll stop at 3! But maybe you'll prove me wrong! How much longer til your Aaron is born? Is that counter on your blog correct??

Kimberly said...

Loved the explanations. I will bore you to tears with mine but check out my blog and you will have it.