Aiden has recently decided that he would rather sleep in his crib again than in the bunk beds we bought for he and Alex. We cannot get him to stay in his bed. But, with a new baby coming, who will need the crib, we don't want to go there again with him. Here is how the night goes: We put him in bed, he climbs out. We put him back in bed, he climbs out. We put him in bed, tell him he HAS to stay there, and he climbs out. We put him in bed...( you get it by now.) This goes on for about 30 minutes. When we tired of it, (he certainly was thinking that he is pretty darn clever and amusing at this point...as did his brother) we decided that we would turn out every single light in the house, except the laundry room light and go to bed so that he would get the point, EVERYONE IS GOING TO BED. At first Aiden continued to think that he was pretty darn amusing and started flushing the toilet again and again and again. We probably heard that toilet flush 15 times...Andy and I lay in bed giggling that he is enjoying the toilet so much. Like bad parents, Andy and I were both so tired that we actually did fall asleep with Aiden wandering around. In the middle of the night, during my frequent bathroom stops I realized that I didn't know where Aiden ended up! AHHH! Talk about panic. I ran into his room, and he's not there! I ran all over the house and I couldn't find him. I was really in a panic now. When all of the sudden I hear him screaming. I run to the laundry room and there he is half asleep on a pile of clothes on the floor, stuck under the open dryer door. I closed the door and picked him up and put him to bed. Amazingly he was so tired that he stayed. But, the next night...the scenario repeated...We put him in bed, he climbs out. ETC. and DITTO. This time we turn all the lights out and go to bed. Aiden is irritated at this point and starts to cry. I carry him to bed only for him to get out again. So I go back to bed. About 30 min. later he stops crying and I go searching for him again. The above picture is how I found him after much searching...camouflaged on a pile of clothes in the hallway! (If only I could keep up with folding the laundry maybe he would stay in his bed!) Oh I hope this passes soon. There is a newborn on the way shortly...this charade has to be over by then!
Wednesday, March 12, 2008
Sleeping Problems...
Aiden has recently decided that he would rather sleep in his crib again than in the bunk beds we bought for he and Alex. We cannot get him to stay in his bed. But, with a new baby coming, who will need the crib, we don't want to go there again with him. Here is how the night goes: We put him in bed, he climbs out. We put him back in bed, he climbs out. We put him in bed, tell him he HAS to stay there, and he climbs out. We put him in bed...( you get it by now.) This goes on for about 30 minutes. When we tired of it, (he certainly was thinking that he is pretty darn clever and amusing at this point...as did his brother) we decided that we would turn out every single light in the house, except the laundry room light and go to bed so that he would get the point, EVERYONE IS GOING TO BED. At first Aiden continued to think that he was pretty darn amusing and started flushing the toilet again and again and again. We probably heard that toilet flush 15 times...Andy and I lay in bed giggling that he is enjoying the toilet so much. Like bad parents, Andy and I were both so tired that we actually did fall asleep with Aiden wandering around. In the middle of the night, during my frequent bathroom stops I realized that I didn't know where Aiden ended up! AHHH! Talk about panic. I ran into his room, and he's not there! I ran all over the house and I couldn't find him. I was really in a panic now. When all of the sudden I hear him screaming. I run to the laundry room and there he is half asleep on a pile of clothes on the floor, stuck under the open dryer door. I closed the door and picked him up and put him to bed. Amazingly he was so tired that he stayed. But, the next night...the scenario repeated...We put him in bed, he climbs out. ETC. and DITTO. This time we turn all the lights out and go to bed. Aiden is irritated at this point and starts to cry. I carry him to bed only for him to get out again. So I go back to bed. About 30 min. later he stops crying and I go searching for him again. The above picture is how I found him after much searching...camouflaged on a pile of clothes in the hallway! (If only I could keep up with folding the laundry maybe he would stay in his bed!) Oh I hope this passes soon. There is a newborn on the way shortly...this charade has to be over by then!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
What a funny story. Good luck with that one. When Alyssa started that stuff, we got the kidproof doorknob cover and locked her in and listened to her cry for about oh, 3 minutes....then we couldn't stand to scare her and let her out. Justin and I both ended up CAMPING out in her room...just to get our needed sleep. After one or two nights she was fine. Kids are so fickle...what works and what doesn't is always a mystery. Good LUCK
Wow, are you getting any sleep at all? Sheesh getting up in the middle of the night to pee and a child that doesn't want to sleep. Good luck with that one. Maggie finally went to sleep when her Grandma recorded some stories for her on tape and she got to listen to them for bedtime stories. Worked like a charm. Hope that things get better real soon. By the way, your cake looks gorgeous!
Umm, it isn't because of the laundry on the floor so don't blame yourself...It is hard to have changes. I am still trying to get my girls to staying their beds. Some nights Tessa and Belle trade beds and they think that is great. Would he think it was cool to sleep in his bed if you made it a fort? Only a few more weeks and the new baby will take over...eeeek then there will be new situations. And there is no one better to handle them than you, Amie! You are a great Mom and so patient!
I have a similar problem in the classroom with kids who can't seem to stay in their seats. Unfortunately district policy frowns on using duct tape to secure students to their chairs. I would have made million!
our boys stay in their rooms, but they play for quite awhile before they actually "crash" and Carson is usually in Brady's bed, but not always. he seems to fall asleep in random places/postions! http://turnertidbits.blogspot.com/2007/11/when-your-tired-youre-tired.html . it goes back to you take what you can get, it will pass, hopefully sooner than later..right!
I loved this story Amie, it is too funny! I dread the transition time from crib to bed. Let's hope he starts liking his bed before your new baby boy comes! Hang in there! We actually did start locking Porter's door after putting him back 10 times... and then he'd just fall asleep!
That's so funny but I'm sure very frustrating. I'm never gonna take Tyler out of her crib. She'll be in there for another 2 years until I have another baby:)
Yeah thats sounds about like Benjamin. We get lucky some nights. It's not about liking his bed though, it's about just not wanting to go to bed. We have just started trying to use pennies as rewards if he stays in his bed. It didn't work as well as I would like, but it's getting better.
Wow have I had some nights like that! We're mean parents and actually turned the doorknobs around to lock from the hall (they figured out the "childproof" ones). We unlock them when they fall asleep. We let them giggle, play, read books, whatever as long as they're in their room. It used to take them an hour to actually go to sleep. Now they fall asleep in 10-20 minutes and we actually don't have to lock it because they know better now...finally!!
Kendyl has been our wanderer ... we did the same as Melissa and turned the lock around so we could lock her in! She still wanders every once in a while to play with toys in the hall and I can't tell you the number of times I've found her asleep in the middle of a pile of toys in the hall, but as long as she doesn't disturb ME after she's been put to bed I just let her be ... and put her back in her bed every 15 minutes or so ;)
Ha ha ha ha ha! Loved the story. Thanks for making my day happier. Sorry about the sleeping issues! Hope it gets better soon.
Post a Comment