Monday, August 4, 2008

Where's Alice???

"Where's Alice?" is the question of the day. (Even though Aiden can say "Alex" he prefers to call him Alice because it's how he first learned to pronounce Alex's name.) "At school," I would say. "I go to school too," would be his reply. Poor Aiden. What a dreadful thing...to have to spend the entire day without his Alice. So, a report on Alex's day is due here. The minute he woke up I was all spastic and jittery with "Are ya exited? Are ya excited?" The following picture shows his teenager attitude towards my excitement.


"Ok, seriously...it's not that big of a deal. Put the camera down mom."
Ok folks, at least we got a little bit of a smile here. He's playing along...
Ah, the sweet Hulk lunchbox...the most exciting part of the day. I will smile for this one.
Ok, so this is the point when mommy is starting to tear up and starting to snap pictures like crazy in the classroom. This is Alex's courtesy smile.
And this picture is of Alex starting to get annoyed with his embarrassing mother. "Stop taking pictures!" he says. And this is the part when mom starts to cry. And to my crying Alex replies, "Mom, just leave." And he turns around and walks to his desk without another look at me. Ok, so apparently I'm the only sad one about this! I turn to walk to the door and take one last look at him while I say, "I'll be back to pick you up, don't worry." To which he casually waves his hand at me and says, "I know, I know." in this "sheesh my mom's embarrassing" tone. And there you have it. I am ONE OF THOSE MOTHERS; the kind that embarrass their children in front of their peers by doing dumb things. Gosh, I thought this accomplishment might take a couple of school years to achieve...

After school I'm so excited to get the scoop on his day. This is how our conversation goes:

Embarrassing Mom: "SO! How did your day go?"

Alex: Good.

Mom: "Did you meet any new friends?"

Alex: "Nope."

Mom: "Did you like eating in the cafeteria with all the kids?"

Alex: "Yep."

Mom: "Who did you sit with?"

Alex: "Alex (Black)".

Mom: "That's it?"

Alex: "Yep."

Mom: "Did you have any trouble opening anything in your lunch box?"

Alex: "Nope."

Mom: "Did you ready any fun stories?"

Alex: "Yep."

Mom: "Do you like your teacher?"

Alex: "Yep."

Mom: "Are you excited to go back tomorrow?"

Alex: "Yep."

Mom: "Is there anything special you want to tell me about your day?"

Alex: "Nope."

HA! In a rare twist Alex was a man of few words today. Maybe I'll get more info out of him tomorrow. But, for now the day sounded successful...don't you think???

4 comments:

Sara & Jess Phillips said...

Oh I don't know what I'm going to do when Luke starts school in a few weeks. I will probably do the same thing and expect him to miss me but he will do exactly what Alex did and shoo me away.

Roxy Dozier said...

I soooooo remember that first day of kindergarten, and not fondly I might add. I now have a second grader and another kindergartener and it hasn;t gotten any easier. Sydney said to me today, Mom, please please please don't boob tomorrow. Haha in her dreams. I'm the mom and I can cry about it if I want too! Lucky for me the school hired me or I would have been a wreck at home all alone all day long! Good luck Amie, he'll be fine. I promise. One more quick thing. There will be more days of crying: like when a friend says they don't want to be best friends, when the school door is locked and they couldn't get in to go potty from recess, or when he falls and skins his knee and you weren't there to help him. Good thing a Mommy's heart heals fast. This is a tough time for us moms. If you need a shoulder or kleenex, just call!

Anonymous said...

I love it! You will never forgot this day EVER! What a big guy and grown up and looking so handsome for his first day of school! I love that you are one of those Moms! I am sad but not so sad at the same time for school to start. My kids do nothing but fight lately and I am sick of it! But that is another long story that I don't want to get into. I am glad that Alex likes school it would be so much harder for you if he didn't (trust me)!

mph said...

That was cute! I cried with both of my girls' first day of kindergarten and I too was the annoying Mom snapping pictures too. I figure they will appreciate it one day.